Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Sea of Monsters

Folks I finally read the next book in the Percy Jackson series and the word is in: I enjoyed it.


I avoided the Percy Jackson books for a long time because of the frequent comparison between them and the Harry Potter series.  Now that I am reading them I do think they're good, but the juxtaposition baffles me even more.  Sure, they both have young, male, slightly magical protagonists, but that's it.  Oh yeah, there's a prophecy, but they aren't even related.  Stop comparing them, they're not the same.

In this book Percy is trying to find the golden fleece (yeah, that same one from Jason) and save camp half-blood.  Luke is still around working his wickedness and rebelling against the Olympians.  Annabeth is helping Percy and Grover is stuck in a doomed relationship.  I really hate reviewing sequels because you don't want to ruin the first book by giving stuff away and usually the plot points are related and it's so frustrating.  Listen: chances are if you read the first one and liked it you'll read this one like I did and you'll like it too.

I think I figured out why the Percy Jackson books are so fun and enjoyable.  They read like a good blog.  The first person, the hilarious chapter titles, the matter of fact way of writing that creates a casual tone, it's just good stuff.  So I'll read the third book.  I'm not chomping at the bit like I was with Harry Potter to get my hands on anything even remotely related, but I do enjoy them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment