Thursday, August 4, 2011

Paranormalcy

Is it possible to hate the main character and still enjoy the story?  For me that was the case with Paranormalcy.


Evie works for an agency that captures and contains paranormal beings to help protect humanity (including, but not limited to, vampires, werewolves, faeries, and hags).  Her best friend is a mermaid and her ex is a faerie.  When a new species in the form of a boy named Lend shows up at the center where Evie lives and works, things start to go crazy.  Something out in the world is attacking and killing paranormals and he seems to think the killings have something to do with Evie.  Turns out the world doesn't work the way Evie thought it did and things go more than a little haywire. 

I really enjoyed this story (which has elements of Stardust plot line for sure), but Evie got on my last nerve.  I swear she is the most annoying character I've ever read.  In the midst of crisis all she does is act like the most stereotypical form of teenage girl (including zebra print dresses and hot pink boots).  For the love of all that is good an holy she has a pink Tazer that is bedazzled.  I find her so obnoxious and more than a little selfish and air-headed.  However, I like the story enough to be on hold for the next installment.  Make of that what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment