Thursday, August 4, 2011

Crown Duel

Originally, apparently, this book was published as two separate books Crown Duel and Court Duel and are now published together.


I like fantasy, but.  Yes, there is a but.  I prefer fantasy with a link to my world.  Maybe it's because I feel it's more believable or that I could actually participate in this world if I tried hard enough or found the right entryway, but I prefer it.  Think of Harry Potter and Narnia and the way that another world coexists just alongside ours.  I like that.  All of that being said, this book isn't so fantasy-ish.  Magic exists in the world, but the book has a more medieval battle novel feeling than a fantasy.  Mel is a countess of a small county after her father dies.  Her brother and people unite all together to fight the evil king and re-establish fairness and peace.  The band of misfits does well until Mel is captured and taken to the king.  All sorts of drama and escapes follow as well as a very Pride and Prejudice-esque love story and an ending that I didn't see coming.  I enjoyed this book, but I didn't love it.  It took me awhile to get into the story and I never really became overly-intrigued, but it's worth a try if you like this kind of thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment