Monday, August 8, 2011

Delirium

Delirium is another dystopian novel.  Shocker.  In this story love has been classified as a disease and everyone must undergo a procedure to receive "the cure" when they turn 18.  The government then matches them with a person of the opposite gender and sets them on a life path as an upstanding member of society.  No pain, very little crime, and minuscule divorce rates.  

Sounds like a pretty decent premise and right up my alley, but I didn't love this book.  The plot felt too much like it was trying to be Uglies.  Not only that, but this book is long (around 450 pages).  I don't have any problem with long books if the story is long, but this one suffered from a lack of editing.  The story dragged and lagged at places and the set-up took approximately forever.  Take out about 50 pages and I think I'd like this book 50% more.  It wasn't terrible, but not one I'm recommending as my most favorite of all time (hasn't that been the case with a lot of my books lately?).  Also boo, I just found out there is going to be a sequel next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment