Friday, July 1, 2011

The Help

Sarah recommended The Help to me and I thought I'd give it a try.  For the first time I processed this book in a combination of audio book and reading.  It was weird and not necessarily something I'll do again.  That being said, this was a great book.  


The Help is the story of domestic help in Mississippi in the 1960s.  Two black maids and one white woman alternate telling their stories that all become intertwined when Miss Skeeter (the white woman) decides to write a book about the maids' true experiences working for white families.  The story is heartbreaking at times and hilarious at others and just overall an awesome book.  Normally I hate when books switch perspectives back and forth because I don't feel like I'm getting a good solid voice from the narrator, but it worked here.  The chapters are kind of long and there isn't overlapping events, meaning that the reader doesn't get the same scene told from more than one perspective which I really appreciate.  I don't know what else I can say except this is an awesome (and not overly heavy, though it is serious at times) book that addresses a lot of social issues with a unique and fresh view.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! It was wonderfully written and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Great book club book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the book, but it stressed me out. Every time I read it I was sitting on pins and needles waiting to find out who was going to get caught, lynched, etc. etc. I'll read it again, though.

    ReplyDelete