Friday, June 24, 2011

Firegirl

I grabbed Firelgirl from the library on a whim while I was there a few days ago.  It was a quick read (I finished in one day) and it was decent.  It's the story of a boy named Tom and how his seventh grade class handles the arrival of a new girl.


Thing is, Jessica isn't your average new student.  She's been burned in a horrible fire and came to the new school to be closer to a good burn hospital.  The seventh graders react exactly how you'd expect: in extremely varying ways.  This is a good story of what it means to be accepting and how to deal with differences.  I definitely see myself using this as a teacher in a classroom situation where students aren't treating each other appropriately.  So, not the most exciting personal read (because it's intended for a much younger audience), but definitely something useful and worthwhile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment