Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wicked

A disclaimer before I begin.  This book can be quite bawdy at times.  The overall story isn't nasty or anything, but the way some of the characters talk is more than a little rough around the edges.  It's definitely an adult book.  I want to make it clear that this isn't harlequin style romance novel with that same issue, but if you're at all sensitive to mature content, don't read it because this has plenty.  In fact, it had enough to make me uncomfortable, but once I start a book I have to finish it. 
I suppose I should have another disclaimer and say that based on the summary I read of the musical the stories are completely distinct and separate (the way the original Wizard of Oz doesn't have that much to do with Wicked except for very basic story elements).

So, the story is of the Wicked Witch of the West, Elphaba, and her adventure from birth to death.  Of course we run into Glinda/Galinda, the Good Witch of the North along with Nessarose (the Wicked Witch of the East).  The story is very politically charged and talks a lot about the oppression of Oz under rule of the Wizard.  Elphaba find friends, love, and political motivation.  There's more to her character than the original story tells.

Now to the part I really want to say: I didn't like this book.  I read it quickly because I wanted to be finished (and I have to finish).  It wasn't just the dirty parts that made me dislike the book.  I found the story alternately slow-moving and jumpy and shocking for the sake of being shocking.  This is the first time that I can recall on this blog that I've overwhelmingly not recommended a book, but there it is.  Do with the advice what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment