Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief

I'll admit it, I caved.  I've heard so much about Percy Jackson (and been outraged when it was compared to Harry Potter) and I finally picked one up to read.  Steph loaned me the book and I used it as a nighttime read-aloud with my seven year old niece Destiny while she visited with me.  

So, The Lightning Thief, I liked it.  But, HELLO WORLD STOP COMPARING THIS TO HARRY POTTER.  This is not Harry Potter, it doesn't even have anything to do with a wizard kid.  Percy is a kid in middle school who suddenly starts facing monsters in the most unexpected of places.  When he discovers his best friend is a satyr and he himself is a demi-god (the son of Poseidon in fact) his life changes.  He attends a summer camp for other "half-bloods" (the slang term for demi-gods used in the book) and is given a quest to recover a stolen item.  He faces real gods and even visits the underworld.  I love the unique modern twist put on Greek mythology (one of my favorite subjects even as a kid) and the unexpected visits from monsters.  It was an overall good book and I'll probably read the others, but I'm not near as attached as I was to Harry (am to Harry). 

No comments:

Post a Comment