Wednesday, March 9, 2011

You



This book is interesting to me for one main reason: it's written in the second person. That's right. The author tells a story about you the reader. You are Kyle Chase, a fifteen year old, under motivated, high school student and part of the group known at school as the "hoodies" (because of their signature black hoodies, go figure). At first the writing style is jarring and intriguing, but I found that the story spent too much time on the build-up and almost no time on completing the story. Brief(ish) rant: I'm starting to get bored of/irritated by the way authors spend the prologue or chapter one telling you the end of the book. If you don't know what I'm trying to describe, think Twilight. The first page is Bella reflecting on how she's going to what she believes is her certain death. You did the same type of thing and it seems that more and more books are going that way these days. I, the reader, am not an idiot. Let me discover the story for myself. No need to try and punch me in the face with some heavy handed foreshadowing and not-so-subtle hints. Ok, rant done. Overall this is not a book I'd particularly recommend and I didn't like it much.

No comments:

Post a Comment