Monday, March 28, 2011

Fairest

Quite a few people have recommended this book to me. I loved Ella Enchanted (same author), but I did NOT love this book. First of all, it's extremely slow to start. I like the idea of twisting around the Snow White story as a companion novel to the twisted Cinderella story, but it fell flat.


Aza is an innkeeper's daughter turned lady in waiting to the new queen. She has a beautiful voice (but not a beautiful face) and she gets into all sorts of sticky situations. There is, of course, a magic mirror, a handsome prince, and some very kind small-ish creatures. I really think this story had the potential to be a good one, but it lacked good pacing and I got frustrated with the obnoxious focus on beauty constantly. Sure, our heroine is not beautiful. I'm fine with that. She's overly large with a strange complexion and an un-desirable hair color. Even in the end when things wrap up, though, it seems that other characters accept her in spite of her looks. That doesn't sit well with me. To clarify, what I mean is that the way it comes across is that it's ok that she's not pretty because she's good on the inside rather than someone thinking she's beautiful despite faults. I think I'm still being unclear. I want her prince and the other characters to love her faults and all rather than love her even though she has faults. The prince says he loves her looks in the end, but it's forced feeling and the say he says it is like he has found some strange way of perceiving that makes it ok.

Ok, I'm done rambling and spoiling the story. Give it a try, if you like, and let me know what you think. Or, if you've already read it, let me know your thoughts and feelings on the beauty issue. Next I'm reading Thief Lord so watch out for that review.

No comments:

Post a Comment