Monday, March 14, 2011

Twisted

*Edit: This book is kind of dark. Just a warning and I don't think I made that clear when I originally posted this.

I began this book just as I was writing the review for You. I was fully prepared to have similar feelings about this book. Let's get real for a minute. I'm way less comfortable with male main characters in young adult fiction than female. This discomfort can, I believe, be attributed to one main cause. It's hard for me to be completely at ease with the description of male reactions to females. How tactful do I need to be on this blog? I don't want to skirt the issue, but I also don't want to offend anybody (I save that for my personal blog). If you're confused please feel free to leave a comment and I'll clarify. I think this is mostly only a problem in realistic fiction as I've read several fantasy novels with male main characters (um, Harry Potter anyone?) and not had the same trouble.



Anyway, back to Twisted. The story is about a 17 year old high school kid named Tyler that got buff doing community service and working after he was busted for vandalizing the school. Essentially his life sucks and his dad's a real jerk. Very standard the model family on the outside isn't so perfect behind closed doors (not to say that the story felt cliche because it didn't).

I don't really want to get into all the nitty-gritty details, but I connected with this book in some strange way. That's all I'm saying on the subject.

Oh, one question. Why does it seem like YA realistic fiction with a male main character never highlights the overachiever or the jock? It's almost always the underestimated, overlooked kind of loser guy. Just food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment