Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Now that I started my month long practicum, I am finding just how hard it is to find time to read for fun while teaching. However, I manage to get some reading in and can definitely see the benefits it has with my students. As they see the book I pull out getting ready for SSR, they rush over asking me questions about how it is, what it is about, or some who have read it and love it. I feel so connected with my students when I am sharing with them the exciting book I am reading. Currently, I am reading Brandon Mull's The Candy Shop Wars which has started with a strong introduction. Recently, I read The Goose Girl, Fortunata's Folly, and The Graveyard Book. All of these books had a great introduction, forcing me to keep reading. My favorite of the three was probably The Goose Girl because as I continued to read, the story became more intriguing. The Graveyard Book had a dramatic first chapter, making it almost impossible for me to put it down. As I read, I had a harder time of focusing as I went several days between reads, but the ending was very satisfying. Fortunaata's Folly had a great idea with it, but it did not seem to meet my expectations.

I was able to attend the Provo Library's Teen Literature Convention and hear from Scott Westerfeld. I was very pleased to hear him explain how he got the idea for his book Uglies. If you have not read that, I highly recommend that. I was able to read it right after The Hunger Games, and I was very pleased with how the storyline progressed. The ending left me chasing down its sequel, immediately beginning it once I had a copy. If you have any recommedations, please let me know! Keep reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment