Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Favorite Books from Fourth Grade Students

The practicum is coming to an end, and so I decided to get book recommendations from my fourth grade students. This helps me learn of books that are popular among the elementary school aged students and see if some of these books would help motivate other kids to read. I reflected what really got me into reading (my fifth grade teacher reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone during class as a read aloud) and what it means to find a book that you REALLY cannot put down. After discussing this, here are the favorite books my students told me that have helped motivate their reading:

The BFG (votes: 2)
Princess Academy
Diary of  a Wimpy Kid (votes: 5)
The Farthest Away Mountain
The Iceberg Hermit
Fablehaven 1-5 (votes: 12)
Holes (votes: 5
Percy Jackson Series (votes: 5)
Boxcar Children
Harry Potter Series (votes: 3)
Series of Unfortunate Events (votes: 4)
The Lost Hero
The Keys to the Kingdom
Red Pyramid (votes: 2)
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (votes: 2)
Magic Tree house
Peter and the Starcatchers

These are just some of the book recommendations they gave me. The votes are the number of kids who considered that book one of their favorites. Most of the girls loved fantasy books and the boys liked fantasy and nonfiction books because it fascinated them with the facts. If you are having trouble motivating a child to read, try some of these books and see if it sparks an interest. I definitely need to read Fablehaven. I heard that the first one is a little slow to begin with but by the end and the remaining books in the series, it is hard to put the book down.




No comments:

Post a Comment