Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chains

Sarah recommended this book to me and loaned it to me. It took me awhile to read it, not because it's difficult, but because I have been insanely busy with the practicum. Now, a quick review.

I don't always love historical fiction. It's just not my favorite genre, but it's ok. This book is about a slave girl named Isabel around the time of the Revolutionary War. Something I really like about this book was that Isabel wasn't a southern plantation slave. Those stories are important and valuable and I enjoy them. However, it seems like sometimes those are the only stories we get. Anyway, back to the point, Isabel spends most of her time in New York in this book. The story talks about family loyalty and devotion and having spirit. She is torn by the Loyalists and the Patriots and how their words don't match their actions on either side. She does a little spying and is immensely brave when it matters. My only major frustration with the book is that it doesn't end; meaning there is a sequel. I like sequels sometimes, but almost every book these days seems unable to stand alone and this is no exception. Anyway, if you like historical fiction or just need something to read, this is a good book. Much better than the last I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment