Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Jane Eyre



There are two things I wanna talk about in this post. One is the actual book, Jane Eyre. I grabbed this book before I went on vacation mostly because it was small and wouldn't take up much room or be very heavy. I didn't really get into it until the way home from vacation and then my reading was kind of slow because my family was in town for graduation and all that jazz.

Ok, so the book. It was great. I was kind of wary at first because this was obviously more dense fiction than what I've been reading with mostly young adult literature. Secondly, really the only literature from this period I've read have been by Jane Austen (with the exception of Tess of the D'Urbervilles *shudder*). I love love loved this story. I found it easier to get into and faster moving than both Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. Some aspects to this story were very surprising and some were expected as I went through, but I thought the balance was great. One thing I especially loved was the way the fourth wall was broken, though not constantly. I like being acknowledged as I read. The way Jane (who narrates the story) addresses the reader periodically and sometimes goes off on tangents makes her feel like a real person.

I do want to admit that sometimes the stereotypes used (about women, poor people, etc.) rubbed me the wrong way, but that is probably a product of the time period.

Ok, next. The edition pictured above is the one I read. I have three of these "Gramercy Classics Miniatures" that I picked up for two bucks each at a book sale. They are fantastic. I already mentioned the small size (about the size of my hand), the covers are lovely, and there's a ribbon bookmark attached. I find the size of these books and their durable hard covers to be fantastic. I just wish there were more stories available (I have Wuthering Heights (never read), Pride and Prejudice, and Jane Eyre). I know they also make Great Expectations, but I don't like Dickens. There, I said it. If you ever see these books for a good price, pick them up. They're fantastic.

Also, read Jane Eyre.

1 comment:

  1. I just barely finished this book too! I went into it knowing nothing about the story line except that Jane was a teacher. I absolutely loved it! Once you get into it, it's such a cute story! I loved the ending; the whole thing just made me feel giddy! Every girl should read this book!

    ReplyDelete