Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss

First, a disclaimer. This book was not NEAR as cheesy as the title would suggest.


I really liked this book. It was a light kind of fluffy high school read about a girl who goes away to study at an American school in Paris. Three things stood out to me about this story.

1. The story was really fun and felt realistic until the girl realizes consciously that she's in love with the boy. Then there's this awkward Twilight-esque effusion of feeling and emotion and awkwardness and cheesiness. Don't love it.

2. While Anna's telling the story she talks about her father who is a popular southern author. He writes stories in a very formulaic way that are usually tragic and involve cancer and romance. Anna considers him a sell-out. The most amusing part to me is how much she's obviously making fun of someone who writes this way in real life. Can you guess who it is? Who always writes stories with no happy endings and usually cancer as a tragic life-ruiner? You are right! It's Nicholas Sparks! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a Nicholas Sparks book every once in awhile. I sometimes like to cry when I read books and I appreciate stories that are simple to understand (life is hard, my reading enjoyment time doesn't always need to be difficult as well) at times. However, all of his books are nearly identical. I simply enjoy the way that this author pokes a little good-natured fun at good old Mr. Sparks.

3. The way the author deals with the feeling of being away from home for the first time long term and the subsequent stress and inherent difference in surroundings when returning home is quite accurate. It's just never the same when you go home after having been away on your own. I can definitely relate.

Give it a try. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment