Friday, May 20, 2011

Inside Out

Who out there is surprised that I read another dystopian novel? Didn't think so.
This one is about a girl named Trella that lives Inside and kind of hates it. Inside is made up of the Uppers and the Scrubs. The groups do not intermingle and are told very limited information about one another to discourage uniting and revolting. Trella gets involved (somewhat reluctantly) in a plot to find the "gateway" to Outside.

When I started this book I was fully prepared to dislike it (because I'm tired of cheap, knockoff, dystopian novels that all have the same plot), but then I got sucked in. Now I'm on hold for the second one at the library. Darn you literature. For at least three quarters of the novel I was planning a rant against the typical dystopian novel romance. Girl has reliable best friend boy from her childhood then suddenly new guy from the wrong side of the tracks or the opposite end of the issue becomes attractive and loveable and girl is all conflicted (hello Hunger Games, Uglies, Matched and the like). This book did NOT turn out to be the same situation, but I was really afraid it would be. But since it didn't happen, I suppose I won't rant about it now.

I will, of course, let you know how Outside In turns out after I read it. Without giving away information from the plot of Inside Out, I'm kind of worried about where the next book might go.

No comments:

Post a Comment