Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Westing Game

This is a book I absolutely loved as a child. I read it first in fifth grade and then at least three times after that. I saw it at the BYU book sale one time last semester for two bucks and got excited to read it again.

Mr. Westing is a millionaire in the Midwest (I want to say Wisconsin). When he is murdered, a group of seemingly random people are called together together as his "heirs" for the reading of his will. When the characters go to the reading of the will, it is extremely unusual. To receive the $200 million inheritance the heirs must work together with an assigned partner to solve Mr. Westing's murder.

It's still a good, fun story, but not what I remember. Raskin herself says in a blurb at the end that she purposely wrote her characters not to change, I don't like that. She says it's because children have change around them all the time, but I still think characters should have some progression. Also, the ends are far too neatly tied for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great book to recommend to students, but it's just not the same as an adult, it just falls a little flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment