Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Maybe Not? and Keturah

My mentor teacher has been talking the past few days about reading. The school read-a-thon is coming up and her family is starting their book club back up. She kept talking about how she hasn't read any books for months. MONTHS! I wish I was going to be around for the whole read-a-thon because the prizes for the teachers are awesome (including a free dinner at Texas Road House just for participating and free massages and all kinds of great things). But really, she hasn't read a book in months? I know she's busy, but I don't know how I would survive without reading a book in months. It's too much a part of who I am. This is the book I just finished a book late last night (early this morning, rather): Keturah and Lord Death.
Several people have recommended this book to me (including Stephanie, one of the writers of this blog), so I picked it up. I had what I think are understandably high expectations for the book, and it fell a little short. The story was unique, but not in an overwhelming way. Rather it felt like the same old story I've read over and over about England back in the day before the world was what it is now and everybody lived in tiny villages and fairies were real. There's a little bit of witch craft, a love story, and the titular encounter with Lord Death. Don't get me wrong, it was a good book. I enjoyed the story and got pretty into it at the end (when I thought I had the whole plot figured out), but I wasn't overwhelmed by the greatness of the plot or especially enthused with the character development. It's a quick read, though, and worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment